Monday, November 01, 2004

i have arrived

after two sleepless nights on what felt like endless plane rides (4 in total) i have arrived in Maun! it is definitely a "frontier town" as the guidebooks call it...a few shops, some peoples homes, and a bunch of land rovers careening around, just like in the movies. and i have already had my first experience on the road! shockingly, nothing crashed into me, and i didnt crash into anything--despite the fact i was driving on the left hand side of the road (something ive never done before), driving stick (also something i have not done much before), and driving an enormous beast of a car that has never heard of such a thing as power steering. yikes. but im alive and doing well so far--the family im staying with is great and they have two adorable little boys (age 4 and 8). they have a swimming pool too which is fantastic because it is excruciatingly hot here. no lion sightings yet (so no dirty requests by them either), but maybe soon--i might be relocating soon out to a lodge near one of the national parks (Makadikadi park) to do my research. i'll keep you all updated!!

ps. EVERYONE GO VOTE!! i already sent in my absentee ballot, you all have no excuses. and someone better call me or post something about who wins.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily Wroe said...

Well, I am kicking your butt with postings and comments, so I thought I'd say hi. =) I love hearing about what you are doing, and totally sympathetic to the difficulties of adjustment. Sounds like you are gettings things in place though--can't wait to read more! By the way, go back and look at pictures from the lodge. We were wearing COATS and HATS. Weird. Come visit Tanzania!

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home